Perfectly Imperfect Sugar Cookies
Soft and easy to cut out, these buttermilk sugar cookies are classic and fun!
Author: Little Flour
Recipe type: Cookie
Serves: 2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Penzy's baking spice (optional)
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla until very fluffy.
- Stir in buttermilk, then all the dry ingredients.
- Wrap tightly and chill overnight or up to two days.
- Roll out to your desired thickness, we like them pretty thick-about half an inch-so they hold up well to cookie cutters and enthusiastic young decorators.
- Bake at 350 for about ten minutes until just firm.
- Cool completely, or even overnight, before decorating.